Eko Atlantic is a new coastal city being built on Victoria Island adjacent to Lagos, Nigeria, to solve the chronic shortage of real estate in the world’s fastest-growing megacity. It is a focal point for investors capitalising on rich development growth based on massive demand – and a gateway to emerging markets of the continent.
An important accomplishment thus far in Eko Atlantic City is the progress achieved on the construction of the ‘Great Wall of Lagos’. The Great Wall of Lagos was constructed to protect the shoreline of Victoria Island and the early phases of Lekki from coastal erosion. Before The Great Wall of Lagos was conceived as a solution to the serious coastal erosion on the coasts of Lagos, Victoria Island was a year away from being completely flooded by ocean surges.
Today, Eko Atlantic City and The Great Wall of Lagos are providing a tremendous amount of benefits to both Victoria Island/Lekki and Lagos as a whole. Businesses and residents that had once left these areas have now returned.
The sea wall as of today has already achieved its primary goal of protecting Victoria Island and parts of Lekki from the threats of ocean surge and coastal erosion.
Here are 5 things You Should Know About The Great Wall of Lagos
- It is 9m high above sea level, it is 8.5km long and 67m wide at the base.
- The wall was constructed to protect the shoreline of Victoria Island and the early phases of Lekki from coastal erosion.
- The design and testing of the sea wall, which could stand the worst storms in 1,000 years, was tested to its limits in Copenhagen at the Danish Hydraulic Institute.
- The wall is designed to absorb and dissipate strong waves, so none of them are passed down the coastline.
- It is protected by over 100,000 accropodes, each precisely placed using GPS-enabled machinery.
Eko Atlantic City houses so many completed and ongoing development projects, including:
- Azuri Peninsula
- Arkland A&A Towers
- Alpha One
- Eko Energy Estate
- Eko Pearl
- Eko Pearl Corporate Tower
- Lagos Sky Tower Residences
- Anglican Church for All Nation