Headlines

COVID-19: Why Football League Might Risks Another Suspension — Chief Warns

The English Football League is risking another suspension if clubs “continue to flout the rules” in place to limit the spread of COVID-19, the chief executive the EFL has revealed.

Elite sport has been allowed to continue despite a fresh national lockdown designed to slow down the rate of Covid-19 infections. However, a number of on and off-field incidents, along with an increase in positive test rates among players, means the professional game is under intense scrutiny from the government and the public.

EFL chief Trevor Birch, in a letter to clubs, said football had provided hope for people during the pandemic but would come “under extreme governmental pressure if we continue to flout the rules and guidance in place”.

Advertisement

There were high-profile instances of virus protocols being breached by EFL clubs — those in the second, third and fourth-tiers of the English game — over the FA Cup third-round weekend.

English Football League

Championship side QPR admitted they should not have allowed former player Eberechi Eze to attend their tie against Fulham, while fourth-tier Crawley’s exuberant celebrations after their win against Premier League side Leeds broke social-distancing rules.

“As a result of the emergence of a more virulent strain of the virus, it is more important than ever that all club staff vigilantly follow the processes we have worked hard to develop to keep our competitions on track and avoid a suspension similar to the one encountered in March 2020,” Birch said in his letter.

Advertisement

He warned if the EFL felt clubs had not taken appropriate action over breaches, it could impose its own sanctions. From this week, players and staff at EFL clubs will be tested twice a week.

The EFL announced on Tuesday Brentford’s next two Championship matches had been postponed due to recent positive Covid-19 tests, including for manager Thomas Frank. The Premier League has encountered its own problems with fixtures being postponed, while some top-flight players were heavily criticised for attending or hosting gatherings over the Christmas and New Year period.

 

Advertisement
Facebook Comments
Adebayo

Adebayo is a Content Developer and website manager who loves to learn, unlearn and relearn. He has a knack for exploring the tech world. He is always thirsty to learn as the tech ecosystem evolves every day.

Recent Posts

How To Create Profitable Ice Cream Business In Nigeria Despite Challenges

Starting an ice cream venture in Nigeria presents strong profit potential for entrepreneurs who can…

4 hours ago

WARC Unveils Multiplier Playbook: The CMO’s Guide To Integrating Brand And Performance Advertising

May 19, 2026 – There is a “say-do gap” in Brand and Performance Advertising: most…

7 hours ago

Nigeria Files N66.4 Billion Tax Fraud Charges Against Saipem Contracting, Directors

The Federal Government of Nigeria has arraigned Saipem Contracting Nigeria Limited and two of its…

10 hours ago

Nigerians Prioritise Mobile Data Over Food As Annual Consumption Hits 5.4 Million Terabytes, Report Reveals

A growing digital dependency is redefining everyday survival in Nigeria, where access to mobile data/mobile…

5 days ago

Global Ranking, Local Identity: How Guinness Conquered Nigeria By Becoming Nigerian

Guinness has ranked Nigeria as its third-largest market worldwide, reinforcing the country’s growing importance to…

2 weeks ago

Stanbic IBTC Reinforces Leadership In Trade Finance At GTR West Africa 2026

Stanbic IBTC Bank, a subsidiary of Stanbic IBTC Holdings and a member of Standard Bank…

2 weeks ago

This website uses cookies.